Girls State Presentation
Embed Size (px)
Here are the slides I used to meet with high schoolers taking part in Girls State 2009.
Text of Girls State Presentation
- 1. FROM BLOGS TO TWEETS: THINKING BEYOND TRADITIONAL MEDIA Jen Reeves Associate Professor Missouri School of Journalism
- 2. What Is Traditional Media?
- 3. What Is Traditional Media
- 4. What is Social Media
- 5. What is Social Media
- 6. What do you need to know?
- Information is gathered in new ways
- Learn from others who are doing it
- 7. Microblogging Facebook status on Red Bull
- 8. Twitter
- Short (140 characters) postings
- Interact with the audience
- Quickly update news from cell phone, web browser or desktop application
- 9. Twitter
- 10. Different uses
- Connect with new audience members
- Build a more personal relationship
- Share and gather information quickly
- 11. What is going on?
- 12. What is going on?
- 13. Ways to use in a newsroom
- Confirming before reporting
- Sharing latest information
- Communicating with audience
- 14. Hudson River Crash
- 15. Mumbai Tweeting
- First-hand accounts before news
- Traditional media using content
- Rumors interspersed with fact
- BACKLASH from traditional media
- 16. Twitter as a news source
- 17. National Public Radio
- 18. National Public Radio
- 19. Twitter Users
- 20. Political Social Media
- 21. Political Social Media
- 22. CNN iReport
- 23. Live Streaming
- 24. Live From Your Phone
- 25. The Future
- 26. Lets connect
- Helpful links and information available online!