In the Rainforests of Borneo Malaysia
Where is Borneo
What is so special about a rain forest?
• Huge amount of biodiversity.• What does this mean?
Biodiversity: the range of different plants and animals living in a particular habitat .
Habitat = (Place where a plant or animal lives)
In the canopies of the worlds oldest rainforest
Adaptation• This plant is very unusual….
Do you know how it is different form normal plants?
• Do you know how this plant is adapated?
Do you recognise these?
Cicarda….what’s it doing?
Conservation• What is conservation?• Can you give an example of conservation.
• Conservation is the protection and careful management of the environment and natural resources.
• (The protection, preservation, management, or restoration of wildlife and of natural resources such as forests, soil, and water.)
• My Example: Sepilock Orangutan rehabilitation centre Borneo Malaysia.
Human Threats to the rainforest
Palm plantations for palm oil
Palm oil… some uses
• Bread, cakes, breakfast cereals and ready meals, as well as ice cream, margarine and crisps.
• Unlike oil seed rape and sunflower oils palm oil is valued because it is solid at room temperature. Palm oil is also cheaper than other types of oils.
• New source of fuel for our transport known as bio fuel.
Endangered or extinct
• Endangered (endangered species)• A species is endangered when there are very
few individuals left and there is a risk that the species will become extinct.
• Extinction (extinct species)• Extinction is when there are non of a
particular species left on earth.
Some of the endangered species at risk of extinction
• Sumatran tiger, Asian Elephant and the Orangutans of Borneo.
• 98% of the Indonesian forest is expected to be destroyed by 2022.
• At the moment there are between 55,000 and 60,000 Orangutans in Borneo but 5,000 to 10,000 orangutans are killed each year.
• Orangutans could be extinct within 15 years.
Orangutan in the wild
Conservation of endangered species
Orangutans in the rehabilitation centre – Sepilock
What is a Native Species?
• Native species: A species which has been here a very long time.
• Native Plant Conservation Initiative: A native plant species is one "that occurs naturally in a particular region, state, ecosystem, and habitat without direct or indirect human actions"