Technology has changed us forever. In the 21st Century we need new skills and new ways to connect, collaborate, and create. PLNs are vital components of one's professional development. For much more information, visit the Connectivism Wiki at http://www.connectivism.ca/
- 1.Internet Session Bring Your Laptops
2. 3. 4. Source: Brandy Agerbeck 5. 6.
21st century skills are more right-brain dependent. And right-brain predominance iterates more easily back and forth between left and right hemispheres. 7.
- Develop proficiency with the tools oftechnology
- Build relationshipswith others to pose andsolve problems collaborativelyand cross-culturally
- Design and share informationforglobal communitiesto meet a variety of purposes
- Manage, analyze and synthesizemultiple streams of simultaneous information
- Create, critique, analyze, and evaluatemulti-media texts
- Attend to theethical responsibilitiesrequired by these complex environments
The National Council of Teachers of English, Feb, 2008 8. Source: Peggy Sheehy: Ramapo Schools 9. George Siemens, 2008 10.
- Connective knowledge is knowledge that could be described asdistributed , because it is spread across more than one entity. A property of one entity must lead to or become a property of another entity in order for them to be considered connected; the knowledge that results from such connections isconnective knowledge .
- Learning is a network forming process
- Capacity to know more is more critical than what is known
- Learning rests in aggregating diverse, often opposing, views
- Content is often the by-product of the learning process not the starting point
- Connections, not content, are the beginning point of the learning process
- Learning can reside in non-human appliances
- Knowledge can rest within our networks not only internally in ourselves
- Ability to see connections (pattern recognition) between ideas and concepts critical to learning
- Currency (up to date knowledge) is the intent of properly created learning networks
- Decision making is in itself a learning process
- George Siemens, www.connectivism.ca
13. Ross Mayfield, Oct. 2008 The periphery of this network contains three groups of nodes that are usually tied to the core through looser ties: 1) Those new to the community and working to get to the core 2) Bridges to diverse communities elsewhere 3) Unique resources that operate outside of the community, and may span many communities. 14.
- knowledge embedded in societies or large groups of people
15. George Siemens, 2008 16. Alec Couros 17. Alec Couros 18. Wordle.net 19. Source: Sue Waters, 2008Blog (Note: Current survey under way includes virtual worlds) 20.
- Blogs (edublogs.org, wordpress.com)
- Microblogging (twitter.com, plurk.com)
- Wikis (wikispaces.com, pbwiki.com)
- Social Networks (META: metamexico.ning.com)
- Social Bookmarking (del.cio.us, diigo.com)
- Digital Photo Sharing (Flickr.com, slideshare.com)
- Video Conferences Chat (ie. Skype.com)
- RSS Feed Aggregates (ie. Reader.google.com)
- Podcasting and Vodcasting (voicethread.com)
- Virtual Worlds (secondlife.com, lively.com)
- Web 2.0 generally refers to an interactive read/write Web rather than simply a passive read-only Web.
See more resources at META. 21. 22. SLURL:http://tinyurl.com/metamexico 23. http://metamexico.ning.com 24. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=500841759&ref=profile 25. http://franksblog.edublogs.org 26. 27. http://twitter.com/MetaWeb20 28. http://www.plurk.com/user/metaweb 29. http://delicious.com/network/metaweb20 30. http://www.diigo.com/dashboard/metaweb 31. http://horizonproject2008.wikispaces.com/Rubrics 32. http://flickr.com/photos/metaweb 33. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOFU9oUF2HA 34. http://gmail.com 35. http://www.google.com/reader/view 36. David Truss,Video Blip.tv 2008 37. Alec Corous,Voicethread , 2008 38. Charles Kettering"The world hates change, yet it is the only thing that has brought progress." 39.
- If you think that change is painful, finding out that you are irrelevant is even more painful.
- Hell is the place where nothing connects.
- Technology wont replace teachers, but teachers that use technology in their classrooms will replace those that dont
- -Cathy Higham, Cambridge University Press, Morelia - 2007
- Get connected yourself (before you facilitate other educators and students getting connected)
- Vicki Davis, aka The Cool Cat Teacher
42. 43. 44. THANK YOU! 45. META: Mexico English Teachers Alliance, Web 2.0 Join the META Group: Connectivism & PLNs for more resources, including a copy of this slide show.