Summary presentation about I-Open's work in Northeast Ohio and nationally building collaborative community to strengthen economic development. Visit the Institute for Open Economic Networks (I-Open) at http://www.i-open.org
Text of Building Collaborative Community in the Civic Space
1. Building Collaborative Communities in the Civic Space Accelerating innovation in Open Source Economic Development May 2011 The Institute for Open Economic Networks (I-Open) 4415 Euclid Avenue Suite 301, Cleveland, Ohio USA 44103 http://i-open.posterous.com/
2. This material is copyright I-Open and distributedunder a Creative Commons 3.0 attribution license. That means you are free to modify, copy and use this material for commercial purposes provided that you attribute it as follows: Source: Betsey Merkel and I-Open, Copyright 2010 Distributed under Creative Commons 3.0 license. You can learn more about Creative Commons license at www.creativecommons.org
3. Civic Spaces Collaborative Communities Social Media Your Next Steps
4. I-Open teaches communities how to buildopen, neutral spaces for new conversations.Where new habits of thinking and actingtogether are encouraged.We call this the Civic Space. It includesEveryone.This is the rst step toward prosperity.
5. We practice new behaviors driven byprinciples to facilitate collaboration. Text
6. Collaborative communities are formed bypeople who share common interests, looking fornew opportunities, lost hope, or who may just becurious.
7. This is what Collaborative Communitieslook like
8. Collaborative Communities areface to face... February 7, 2008 Midtown Brews with Meet The Bloggers: Ohios Energy Portfolio: Economic Development in Your Backyard June 10, 2008 Midtown Brews with Meet The Bloggers: The Youngstown Business Incubator: A Global Model of Quality, Connected Business Innovation
9. ...and Collaborative Communities are online.I-Open builds collaborative communities online using an integrated Web 2.0 tool set provided byStrategy-Nets.net
10. Collaborative Communities can be regional...Examples of I-Open Collaborative Communitiesbased in Northeast Ohio.
11. Northeast Ohio is home to several national models of online Collaborative CommunitiesREALNEO (above) and the Lakewood Observer (right)
12. ...and Collaborative Communities can be nationalI-Open Collaborative Communities launched at national gatherings connect participantsonce they return home to stay connected and enable follow up to new opportunities.
13. Examples of I-Open Education skills training Learning LinksI-Opens citizen stories Midtown Brews technology, creative and energyCollaborative Map the Mess political transparencyCommunitiesbased in Linked Communities Open ConversationsNortheast Ohio community prioritieswith a global Defragreach. creative digital media WENetwork women and leadership enterprise Democracy in Action citizen-government networks World of Work workforce development
14. What do collaborative communitiesoffer you? Trust building Networks to break down barriers A new generation of cross disciplinary learning skills Opportunities for project building, or enterprise collaboration Opportunities for Strategic Doing Fun and convivial relationships
15. Some questions to think about: Where do you gather with others where you live? What does collaborating mean to you? Where do you go to experience community? What face to face and online communities do you participate in or know about? How could a community help you and what you are passionate about?
16. Civic Spaces Collaborative Communities Social Media Your Next Steps
17. Social Media tools expand online Collaborative Communitiesquickly to build global networks and share and receive informationinstantly...
18. Web based conversations Create accountability to an unseen global audience Iterate fast moving comparisons Sustain purposeful conversations Engage co-created community interests designed to focus on strategic issues
19. I-Open Education Internet Television channel Creative Brand Live Show Live Chat Archived sessions Share
20. Social Media tools allow anyone to Participate regardless of location Engage in multi-task learning by 1. chatting live with the class and others online 2. review archived sessions at your convenience 3. share information with colleagues
21. Next Steps Join an I-Open online community Learn about the Civic Space, social media, and collaborative communities
22. Collaborative Communities to explorehttp://realneo.us/http://lakewoodobserver.com/http://www.osed.smartworkspaces.com/index.php/Main/REITuesdays
23. Words of interest civic space civic forum process partnerships collaborative communities social media & broadcast
24. Open Source Software Industry lessons The overall evolutionary dynamic is reinvention Reinvention enables continuous improvement Communities co-evolve The success of one depends on the success
25. Thank you!Learn more about I-Open athttp://i-open.posterous.com/ Send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org