Text of Avatar vocabulary chapter 3 vocabulary instruction
1. Building Vocabulary Chapter 3 Vocabulary Instruction
2. IntroductionEvery lesson is a language lesson regardlessof the content. Academic outcomes are hugelyinfluenced by whether language is taughtarbitrarily or with intent. The purpose of thischapter is to discuss components and methodsof vocabulary instruction.
3. Objectives Participants will demonstrate understanding of the six Marzano components of vocabulary instruction. Participants will demonstrate understanding of a seven-step method of vocabulary instruction. Participants will design a vocabulary lesson.
4. Marzano Components
5. Components of Vocabulary Instruction- Marzano Teacher gives a description, explanation, or example (with nonlinguistic representation) Students restate the description, example, or explanation in their own words Students construct their own nonlinguistic representation Students participate in activities that help build their knowledge of the word Students discuss the terms with each other Students participate in games that let them play with the word
6. Examples of Activities Analogies Highlighting prefixes and suffixes Identify synonyms and antonyms Metaphors Venn diagrams or other organizers Revise their own definitions as their understanding increases
7. Examples of Discussion Activities Compare descriptions or definitions with a partner Describe pictures to a partner or within a small group Construct example situations with a partner
8. Examples of Games Pictionary Charades Matching synonyms or antonyms Name that category Draw me Talk a mile a minute
9. A Seven-Step Lesson
10. The following is a method for initial directinstruction when first introducing a word. It isonly ONE part of a system of vocabularyinstruction. Word play activities, exercises, andgames should be added to create a completevocabulary learning experience.
11. Teaching Vocabulary Pick a Tier 2 word relevant to literature youre currently reading, or a current content-related Tier 2 word. Direct the students to rate their own knowledge of the word before and after the lesson. Remember, students can adjust their rating over time as their understanding increases. Say the word A LOT during the lesson!
12. Word Knowledge Rating Scales Younger students could use Happy face/Straight face/Sad face picture choices Older students could use number rankings (1-3, 1-5, 1-10)
13. Seven Steps1. Introduce the word2. Student-friendly definition3. Content-specific definition4. Use the word in other contexts5. Guiding questions & sentence starters6. Short-answer questions7. Repeat the word(ELLA)
14. Seven-Step LessonStructure & Progression
15. ExamplesBefore continuing, open the followingdocuments, print them, and use them as youfollow along during the next several slides. Example Lesson Plan Example Organizer Student Edition Example Organizer Teacher Edition
16. Vocabulary Lesson 1 equivalent Word knowledge rating Before 1 2 3 4 Introduce the word Forms of the word and synonyms: After 1 2 3 4 - - say the word General definition: When things are equivalent, they are basically equivalency alike and students echo; the same or have equal value. equal comparable write the word and Math definition: Equivalent fractions are fractions that represent the same value. students write the The word used in other contexts: What is an example of two things that are equivalent? word; clap syllables When she looked for a new job, she wanted to find one with a An example of two things that are equivalent is. (if appropriate). salary equivalent to her current salary. When someone borrows something and then doesnt return it, thats equivalent to stealing. Direct the students Two five dollar bills are equivalent to 1 ten dollar bill. to rank their current Non-examples: What is an example of two things that are not equivalent? understanding of 3/4 and 1/2 An example of two things that are not equivalent is the word (before). 50 minutes and 1 hour Fff Ffff Fff
17. Vocabulary Lesson 2 & 3 Provide a student equivalent Word knowledge rating Before 1 2 3 4 After 1 2 3 4 friendly definition Forms of the word and synonyms: General definition: When things are equivalent, they are basically verbally and in the same or have equal value. equivalency alike writing; have equal comparable students cloze Math definition: Equivalent fractions are fractions that represent write and echo the the same value. The word used in other contexts: What is an example of two things that are equivalent? definition. An example of two things that are equivalent is. When she looked for a new job, she wanted to find one with a Explain the salary equivalent to her current salary. meaning more fully When someone borrows something and then doesnt return it, in the context of the thats equivalent to stealing. text or concept. Two five dollar bills are equivalent to 1 ten dollar bill. Non-examples: What is an example of two things that are not equivalent? As age-appropriate, 3/4 and 1/2 An example of two things that are not equivalent is provide parts of 50 minutes and 1 hour Fff speech and forms Ffff Fff of the word, and a few synonyms and/ or antonyms.
18. Vocabulary Lesson - 4 equivalent Word knowledge rating Before 1 2 3 4 Provide Forms of the word and synonyms