Apa style and citations
APA presentation to BSN students
- 1. APA STYLE AND CITATIONS Daytona State College Library, Fall 2014
- 2. Title Page and Abstract Instructions for setting up a paper in Word are on the Nursing Research Guide Elements of the title page: Running head Title Author name and affiliation Abstract: one- paragraph summary of your paper
- 3. First Page of Paper The title appears twice Once as running head Once as centered title Page numbering: done with running head
- 4. Doing Quotations Remember: you have to cite whether you quote or paraphrase.
- 5. In-Text Citations One Author Last name Comma Year Page # if quote
- 6. In-Text Citations Multiple Authors First time: list them all. Two exceptions Same first author and year Six or more authors
- 7. Guidelines for In- Text Citations
- 8. References Article with DOI Digital Object Identifier Newer articles have them Do not capitalize doi
- 9. References Article Without DOI Must include a URL CINAHL and other EBSCO databases: Retrieved from http://ebscohost .com/ Nursing Collection (Ovid): http://ovid.com/ Note: EBSCO cite tool does it WRONG
- 10. References Page The word References is centered at the top of the page Alphabetical order Hanging indent
- 11. References American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.) Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. Menchine, M., Probst, M.A., Agy, C., Bach, D., & Arora, S. (2011). Diagnostic accuracy of venous blood gas electrolytes for identifying diabetic ketoacidosis in the emergency department. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18, 1105-1108. doi:10.1111/j.1553- 2712.2011.01158.x
- 12. A Word About Powerpoint The word is SILENT.