Embed Size (px)
Text of Vietnam Nixon
- Im not going to end up like LBJ. Im going to end that war fast.
- Can we win? Henry Kissinger told Nixon that Vietnam could be won in 8-13 years!
- How do we end the war in Vietnam?
- Withdraw troops, negotiate, and when they do not accept bomb
- Push USSR/China to help end the war
- Creighton Abrams replaces Westmoreland
- 1. US shall keep all treaty commitments.
- 2. US shall provide a shield of nuclear power to a country that is an ally or vital to our security.
- 3. We will give $$ and military aid to others but they are responsible for their primary defense.
- Goal-Make the NV think that Nixon had lost his mind in order to end the war
- Operation Duck Hook-called for the possibility of dropping nuclear weapons across NV by Nov. 1, 1969
- End all bombing of North Vietnam
- Restart the Air War against the North
- Destroy anything that could be used as an offensive weapon
- Dropped mines in harbors of NV
- Known as the Christmas bombings
- Round the clock bombings of civilian targets like hospitals and orphanages
- Estimated 2000 Casualties on Day 1
- US secretly launches Menu
- Use Cambodia to attack NV
- Public has no knowledge of bombings
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Snack, Supper
- Plan by the Nixon administration to turn the fighting in Vietnam over to SV.
- This lowered US military effectiveness.
- Nixon uses his Peace with Honor approach
- Starts to withdraw troops over a 14 pt. phased plan
- US wanted to cut off Trail in SE Laos
- SV army invades and succeeds for first 2 weeks
- Why? Buy time for US withdrawal
- Crushed by NV and Vietnamization is seen as a failure!!
- SV ask for guns to kill themselves-caught on TV
- Nixon guards the White House (January 1970) - 300 soldiers
- 1,2,3,4, we dont want your ------- war
- Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?
- 19 year olds would be called firstthen 20, 21, 22, 18
- Numbers picked from huge glass bowl
- Highest TV ratings in 5 years
- The war wasnt ending like most Americans had hoped.
- Involvement in Laos & Cambodia increased
- Congress is angered over the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution
- Leaked by Daniel Ellsberg
- Worked for the Defense Dept.
- Report ordered by McNamara about the mistakes in Vietnam
- Government frequently misled the public
- NY Times obtained 7000 pages of the report
- **Nixon would not let this happen again!
- Plumbers set up to stop leaks (CIA/FBI)
- Company had lost 95/190 men in 3 months
- Ran into village that was filled with mines and booby traps.
- 567 people killed by the end of the day
- Calley himself killed 109.
- 4 Killed and 9 wounded on the Ohio Campus
- Parties, out from bars, breaking windows, fires
- With administrative approval, lit ROTC building on fire, threw rocks @ firemen, cut their hoses
- Students rang victory bell @ noon, Natl. Guardsman appeared, Evacuate the Commons, 12:24 shot 61 times into crowd
- Students pelted white motorists w/rocks & bottles
- 2 killed, 12 wounded by police
- Are colleges safe anymore?
- 700 vets stood in line and threw their medals over the fence into the Capitol.
- January 27, 1973-ceasefire announced
- US withdrew last 27,000 troops
- US would give $7.5 billion in aid
- November 7, 1973-War Powers Act
- Congress repeals Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, regains power to declare war
23. Why did the North win?
- 1. North fought hard and well
- 3. American tactics inappropriate
- 4. Long and draining war for the US