- 1. *Land Transport *
2. *Land Transport *
3. *Land Transport - Road *
Road Transport is the most common means of transport
There are two general categories of Road Transport
a.Public-Buses & Taxis
4. *Land Transport - Road *
b.Private-Cars, bicycles, motor cycles,
5. *Land Transport - Road *
6. *Land Transport - Road *
Animals on the Road
7. *Land Transport - Road *
Non-engined vehicles on the road
8. *Land Transport - Road *
Engined vehicles on the road
9. *Road Transport - Advantages *
Speed It can travel at any speed over short distances
Convenience it is ready to be used at any time, no need to follow a fixed timetable
Availability Most places are served by roads.
Delivery Good can be delivered up to doorsteps.
10. *Road Transport - Advantages *
Cheapness it cost less than most other types of transport over short distances.
Little Capital Investment Less capital is required to start a road transport company.
Safety There is less handling and pilfering of goods.
11. *Road Transport - Disadvantages *
It is less suitable for carrying too heavy and bulky goods, such as coal and iron ore.
It can be slower than rail over long distances because of road vehicles crowded with traffic / traffic congestion.
Road vehicles can only carry a certain limit of weight.
It creates pollutions, noise and damage to road.
More chances for accidents.
12. 13. *Land Transport - Rail *
14. *Land Transport - Rail *
Train carry both passengers and goods
15. *Land Transport - Rail *
Rail-car are shorter than train and is used mainly to carry passengers and mail
16. *Land Transport - Rail *
17. *Land Transport - Rail *
Goods Train (Freight) are ideal for the transportation of bulky, heavy and non-perishable goods such as ore, timber, logs,etc.
18. *Land Transport - Rail *
Other types of Train
19. *Rail Transport Advantages*
- Cheaper to carry bulky goods over long distances.
20. Safer than road for carrying dangerous products, e.g. nuclear 21. Provides faster services for goods and passengers especially over long distances. 22. Cheapest mode of land transport for long journey COPYRIGHT 2010
23. *Rail Transport Disadvantages*
24. Travel on railway tracks only 25. High maintenance expenses 26. No door-to-door services COPYRIGHT 2010
27. *Some Modern Developments in transport*
Widely used since the 19th century for supplying gas and water to local areas.
Now commonly used for transferring gas and liquids over long distances.
28. *Some Modern Developments in transport*
Containers are large boxes usually built with steel frames and aluminium panels.
Each container can be quickly and easily loaded onto and unloaded from the carrying vehicle or ship by mechanical means at destination.
29. *Some Modern Developments in transport*
These containers are of standard sizes and can be transferred between different forms of transport that are designed to hold standard containers.
30. *Pipeline transport Advantages*
Low maintenance and fuel costs compare to using vehicles.
Not affected by weather.
Less air pollution.
31. *Pipeline transport Disadvantages*
Limited in use because it can only carry one type of product.
High installation costs.