1. Starting or Enhancing Your Social Media Strategy By Angela Keyser AK Communications email@example.com Phone: 715-212-2910 Twitter: @Angela_Keyser
2. Before We Begin To succeed, we first must believe we can. -Michael Korda
3. Todays Goal From this
4. Todays Goal To this
5. Overview1. Why social media is important2. How to get started3. Overview of top five social media networks4. Tools and tips for managing social media5. Measuring what matters6. Top tips for blogging, videos, contests7. Resources
6. A Little Bit About Me Where it all began
7. A Little About MeB.S. Animal Science & International AgribusinessSpent the last 10 years working in food & agriculture marketing & public relations
8. A Little About Me Military Spouse New Mom Difficult to grow career given transient nature of the military Started AK Communications in fall 2011
9. Coaching, Consulting + Freelancing Marketing Strategy Advertising Public Relations Events/Tradeshows Websites Branding Social Media Copy + Content Writing Sales ToolsWe Grow Food and Family Fun
10. Why Social Media?
11. Why Social Media? What are the top 3 most visited websites?A. Amazon, Yahoo!, FacebookB. Wikipedia, Google, YouTubeC. Google, Facebook, YouTube
12. Why Social Media? What is the most popular online activity? A. Google-ing B. Social Networking C. News Reading
13. Why Social Media? What website drives more referrals than Google+, LinkedIn & YouTube?
14. Why Social Media?What is the fastest growingdemographic on Facebook?
15. Why Social Media?
16. Why Social Media? Social networks and blogs reach what percentage of the active U.S. internet users? A. 33% B. 55% C. 80%
17. Why Social Media?Last year, the followers on this network claimed it had 24% influence on purchase behavior. This year, the followers of that samenetwork claim it has a 47% influence on purchases.
18. Why Social Media? Other Important StatisticsThe check-in trend never existed22% of Americans check social sitesseveral times/dayB2C companies who blog regularly seean 88% increase in median monthlyleads (B2B see 67% increase)
19. Why Social Media? Other Important StatisticsHalf of all local searches are performedon a mobile device49% of smartphone users use theirdevice for social networkingMobile & video are the fastest growingareas in marketing Social media helps your SEO
20. Why Social Media?In one minute online there are:100 new accounts created on LinkedIn100,000 tweets sent on Twitter277,000 log ins on Facebook2.8 million videos viewed on YouTube
21. How to Get Started
22. How to Get StartedBegin with the end inmind Habit #2 of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
23. How to Get StartedGoing Back to Business Basics Do you have an existing marketingplan? If so, revisit it. If not, develop one.What is your brand image? Fun, sophisticated, adventurous, creative, wholesome, family-focused?
24. How to Get StartedMarket Research Who are your target customers? Ages? Lifestyles? Where do they spend their free time? What needs/wants do they have? Where do they go for information? What challenges do they have that you could help out with?
25. How to Get StartedMarket Research Who are your competitors? What are their strengths? What are their weaknesses? Whatsyour competitive advantage? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? How are you different/better?
26. How to Get StartedProduct What are you selling? What adjectives can you use to describe your product? What are the tangible things you sell? What are the intangible things you sell? What are the benefits of your product? How does your product make your customers life better/easier?
27. How to Get StartedWhat are your companys core values & key messages?
28. How to Get StartedWhat is your annual marketing activity calendar? Review social media Gantt chart
29. The Top 5 Social Networks
30. The Top 5 Social Networks Twitter Facebook YouTube Google+ Pinterest
31. Top 5 Social NetworksOver 1 billion monthly users globally47% male, 53% femaleTraffic is highest mid-week btwn 1-3pmEngagement is 18% higher on Thurs & FriBrand engagement in 2011 increased by 176%
32. Top 5 Social Networks77% of B2C companies acquired customers from FB (43% of B2B)9:1 ratio of views to sharesAuto-posting to FB decreases likes and comments by 70%95% of all wall posts are not answered by brands
33. Top 5 Social Networks Is it right for you? Most likely should be #1 SM priority ifyoure a B2C businessAre you willing to commit to posting dailyDo you have the capability to answer all wallposts?Can you identify at least 1 other person thatcan help?
34. Top 5 Social Networks How to get started Watch & Listen Identify 3-5 pages you admire/are similar to your business and study them Notice what comments get the most engagement and which ones dont Pay attention to how the brand words things
35. Top 5 Social Networks How to get startedStart Your Page Fill in as much company information as possible Post several pictures/videos Make several posts before you make your page public
36. Top 5 Social Networks How to get startedLaunching & Engaging After making your FB page public, let everyone know Share in your eNewsletter, advertising, website, brochures, etc. Dont focus on number of followers, focus on engagement Use your platform for a variety of things: Promoting your services/products (sales, promotions) Product education Market research Product development
37. Top 5 Social Networks How to get startedFine-Tuning & Exploring Multiple postings per day Posting at different times of day Focus on call-to-actions Less is more (photos, short videos & short posts) Partner up with other like-minded pages Using apps Develop contests
38. Facebook Contest Tips
39. Facebook Contest TipsContest TipsKnow the rulesWhat is your goal/why are you doing this?What type of contest are you having? Sweepstakes, essay, photo, videoWhats the prize? Needs to be enticing Ideally promotes your brand, product, service
40. Facebook Contest TipsContest TipsKeep it simplePromote it everywhereUse it to gather information/insightResources ShortStack.com for 3rd party Facebook apps HubSpot.coms How to Master Facebook Marketing in 10 days SocialMediaExaminer.coms 9 Tips for Running Successful Facebook Contests
41. Top 5 Social Networks MeasureTrack Monthly LikesPay attention to which posts get mostengagementAsk for feedback from followersReward most engaged followers
42. Top 5 Social Networks500 years of YouTube video are watched on Facebook every day4 billion YouTube videos are viewed per day800 million unique visitors a month700 YouTube videos are shared on Twitter each minuteTraffic from mobile devices tripled in 2011
43. Top 5 Social NetworksYouTube was bought by Google so you can access YouTube through your Google account
44. Top 5 Social NetworksTo create a channel Log into Google Click on YouTube along top of window Sign In on YouTube Go to upper right hand corner where your picture or a blue picture icon is and click on the drop down menu Click on Advanced underneath your name and email Under Channel Settings, click on Rename Channel
45. Top 5 Social Networks How to get startedWatch and learnWhat is your purpose, goal, expectedcustomer action?Does the content fit/support/complementyour brand image, marketing plan activities &goals?Who will be your spokesperson/actor?
46. Top 5 Social Networks How to get startedDo you have a suitable set? No background distractions Pleasing to the eye and complementing the actor Ideally showcasing your product, service, brand in an indirect wayWould an animated slide show bettercommunicate your information?
47. Top 5 Social Networks How to get startedDo you have all the tools? Camera SD Card Tripod Lights Microphone Video editing software
48. Top 5 Social Networks How to get startedIs you actor comfortable speaking in frontof the camera?What are your talking points?Do you need a script?Do you have the appropriate props to besttell the story?
49. Top 5 Social Networks How to get startedKeep it short: less than 3 minutesFocus on product education vs self-produced advertisementKeep it entertaining Action shots but not too much action Use simple sets, images, demonstrations Show that youre human! Give the viewer something to do (Call-to-Action)
50. Top 5 Social NetworksWhats trending on Twitter today oftenbecomes tomorrows newsIts becoming search-engine-likeOver 60% are womenGreat place to network with Media Follow magazines/news/influencers People you would otherwise never meet
51. Top 5 Social Networks
52. Top 5 Social Networks How to get startedYour handle (@Angela_Keyser) should beconsistent with your brand nameUse key words and your website in your profiledescriptionMake sure your profile image reflects your logo orbrand imageDONT tweet on someones behalf unless youpublicly notify your followers
53. Top 5 Social Networks How to get startedWatch, listen and learnStart following like-minded people & organizationsUse key words, phrases used in other marketingcommunicationsUsing a hashtag (#) directly before a word(#twitter) gives your tweet stronger searchabilityFocus on direct messaging and mentioning peoplevs. always blasting out information