Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook 1

Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

• Upload
    vaughan

• View

• Download

Embed Size (px)

DESCRIPTION

Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook. Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention. - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

Citation preview

Page 1: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Strengths and Community:Enhancing Adult Retention

Session Number – T1.07

Carolyn Cook

Page 2: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention

“More students leave college because of disillusionment, discouragement, or reduced motivation than because of lack of ability or dismissal by school administration.”

Edward Chip AndersonStrengthsQuest, 2001

“In the context of strong mentoring relationships and a stimulating, safe environment, capitalizing on human strengths enhances motivational forces and promotes academic achievement and personal adjustment, leading to college retention and civic engagement.”

Shane LopezThe StrengthsQuest Guidebook, 2008

Page 3: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

• Private, four-year Christian college founded in 1937, currently in East Point, GA and moving to West Point, GA summer 2012

• Regionally accredited by the Commission on College of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)

• Total enrollment of 1,233 students • Headcount Traditional - 430 Headcount Access -823• 96% students receive financial aid• Affiliated with the Christian Churches and Churches of

Christ Independent Christian• Significant racial, social and economic diversity

Page 4: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Our MissionTo educate students for Christ-centered service and leadership and to be points of influence in our community and throughout the world.

Our VisionTo be the college of choice for students seeking a Christian learning community that is academically challenging, spiritually vibrant and globally engaged.

Page 5: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Access Degree-Completion Program •Associate and Bachelor degrees•Christian higher education for adult learners 21 +•Accelerated learning thru sequential modules•Cohort based -1 night/week•Blended delivery on-line/in-seat•More then 250 graduates since inception 2008•FTE – Fall 2011 – 799•Main campus and 3 off-site locations East Point Peachtree City West Point Savannah

Page 6: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Page 7: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Page 8: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Page 9: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Page 10: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Strategies to Support Access Student Success Develop opportunities to enhance student self-

efficacy and motivationProvide advising and academic supportEncourage student engagement and with campus

community Intentional institutional strategies to engage

students, administration and faculty Core courses develop cohort cohesiveness

Page 11: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Academic Support Services Access Celebrates Education Resource Center Dean’s List recognition Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Society,

Psi Upsilon Chapter

Page 12: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Student Support Services Advising and life management – 1:236 Attendance management Financial aid Calendar changes

Graduation pre-audits

Page 13: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Introduction to Adult and Professional Studies Strengths Education (APSP 105) Academic success strategies Institutional policies and practices Students learn top five themes of their individual talents utilizing the

StrengthsQuest Talent Assessment - Clifton StrengthsFinder developed by the Gallup organization - Students encouraged to discover, develop and apply themes in all aspects

of life to achieve excellence - Education focused on strengths and talents not remediation - Strengths education re-affirmed throughout the currriculua

Page 14: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Students report:Increased self-awareness and self-acceptanceExperience of self-empowermentAffirmation of impact of strengths on relationshipsBetter prepared to join the campus community Develop enhanced personal and academic self-efficacyConsider how strengths support vocation choicesLearn how strengths contribute to team workAwareness of strengths and their 5 talents is motivating and transformational

Page 15: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Strengths LeaderAtlanta Christian College

STRENGTHSQUEST™

Location: Atlanta, GeorgiaSize: 950 FTEYears Using SQ: 2 yearsSQ: 500/yearProgram Director: Carolyn Cook and Stacy Bartlett

Adult Degree Completion Program:•Strengths introduced in Introduction to Adult Learning course (orientation course for each adult student)

•Strengths engagement throughout all courses, written into all adult curriculum

•Strengths interaction with faculty and staff

•Students purchase codes for family and friends so they can begin teaching them the strengths concepts

•Strengths beginning emphasis in Career Center

Staff Development:•Certain staff departments foster strengths engagement within the hiring process

•Admission and financial aid staff are trained to use the strengths concepts throughout the admission process, so students are intrigued to find out more

Goals:•Implement StrengthsQuest program into the traditional program at the institution through the new student orientation program

•Encourage more campus-wide participation in strengths development

Strengths Reviews:“[StrengthsQuest] just gives me one of those rare positive feelings that you get when you know you are on the RIGHT PATH. I so wish I had known this many years ago! But hey, it's a new beginning, and I am ready!”

- adult student at Atlanta Christian

“This course has served as a catalyst for my academic, personal and professional journey. I am excited about what the future holds for those persons who know, understand and utilize their talents and strengths.”

- adult student at Atlanta Christian

Page 16: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Strengths Reviews:“[StrengthsQuest] just gives me one of those rare positive

feelings that you get when you know you are on the RIGHT PATH. I so wish I had known this many years ago! But hey, it's a new beginning, and I am ready!”

Adult student at Point University (Atlanta Christian College)

“This course has served as a catalyst for my academic, personal and professional journey. I am excited about what the future holds for those persons who know, understand and utilize their talents and strengths.”

Adult student at Point University

Page 17: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Access Student Life & Engagement ActivitiesDevelop community and encourage engagement based upon:

- common spiritual bond- motivation and desire to achieve life-long

goal- excitement about re-engagement in school- realization of real possibility of degree

attainment-->Create opportunities for students to experience community, affirm and re-affirm their shared goal!

Page 18: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Page 19: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

ACCESS CELEBRATES – Fall 2011 Student Life Sign-Up Student Life Activity Type of Activity # Students Status

All Points Outreach Spiritual 48 Under DevelopmentHonor Society Academic 54 ImplementedChapel Committee Spiritual 52 ImplementedWellness Personal Empowerment 39 ImplementedPhotography Club Social Networking 12 ImplementedLeadership Series Professional 114 ImplementedStrength in Prayer Cafe Spiritual 64 ImplementedStudent Directory Committee Social Networking 37 Under DevelopmentStudent Life on Facebook Social Networking 4 Under DevelopmentStudent Life Scholarship Academic 4 Under DevelopmentAll Points Café Speakers Social Networking 4 Under Development _________________________________________________________________________________________Total 419 Students Total Student Population at the time of report 800+

Page 20: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Page 21: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

Future Student Life Activities:– Men’s Mentoring – Global mission outreach– Access Alumni Association– Get Connected!(technology workshops)

Strengths + Community + Engagement =Persistence and Retention!

Page 22: Strengths and Community: Enhancing Adult Retention Session Number – T1.07 Carolyn Cook

“I love the people and the relationships formed during my journey here. If you have a calling on your life, this is the place to develop it.”

Access Adult student Anticipated graduation - May 2012