Embed Size (px)
Ōpūkahonua Genealogy Papahānaumoku - Wākea 1) Hawaiʻi 2) Maui 3) Hoʻohōkūkalani – Wākea 4) Hāloanakalaukapalili 5) Hāloa (first man)
Solutions or Just More Problems?: A Call For True Climate Justice For Kanaka Maoli
Lehua KaʻuhaneMay 24, 2012
ʻO wai ʻoe: Who you?
Papahānaumoku - Wākea
1) Hawaiʻi 2) Maui 3) Hoʻohōkūkalani – Wākea
5) Hāloa (first man)
How is climate changeAffecting Hawaiʻi?
Sea Level Rise
Hawaiʻi Energy Use Policy
70% by 2030 “clean energy” goal
Renewable = “indigenous energy”
Commitments to develop energy projects on rural neighbor islands for use on Oʻahu
Large Scale Wind Farms
Lānaʻi:• 67 wind turbines• 5,500 acres
Molokaʻi: • Potential lease agreement of
Hawaiian Home Lands Community Opposition
• Located in areas of cultural importance, alters traditional subsistence lifestyles to meet urban demand, neighbor islands as an industrial park for urban Honolulu
Renewable Energy DevelopmentCommunity Solutions
• Does not view natural environment as mere “resources” for consumption
• Allows continuation of native belief systems- fulfilling kuleana
• Ensures availability of lands & resources
• Least amount of impact on future generations
• Not solely profit motivated, but a commitment to community
• Decentralized and community controlled
Policy Solutions or Just More Problems?
• Root of CC and “solutions” both =– Loss of land and resources– Commodification of nature– Threats to cultural survival
• Communities with “real” solutions are burdened with “false” solutions
• A global conversation: Can the power structure that created the problem, solve the problem?