Greece Unit Test Study Guide
(Word Bank:- Mediterranean Sea- Troy- Peloponnesian Peninsula- Aegean Sea Sparta- Balkan Peninsula- Athens- Macedonia- Black Sea- Greece)Section 1: Mapping
(Apollo _____A) Goddess of love and beautyAthena ______B) Brother of Zeus and god of the seasZeus________C) King of the godsAphrodite_______D) God of the hunt and child-birthHera_______E) Home of the godsArtemis ________F) Queen of the godsPoseidon________G) Goddess of wisdomMount Olympus________H) God of the sun and music)Section II: Match the description to the gods
(Answer Choices:A) IonicD) HippocratesG) PhidiasJ) SophoclesM) PlatoB) ParthenonE) DoricH) HerodotusK) CorinthianN) ArchimedesC) GeometryF) HomerI) ThucydidesL) PericlesO) Socrates)Section III: Identify Greek Contributions using the descriptions and images below
1) _______ Euclid was a Greek mathematician and the father of-
2) _______ Wrote dramatic plays such as Oedipus Rex and Antigone.
3) _______ Epic poet who wrote the Iliad and Odyssey.
5) _______ Father of modern medicine; wrote an oath that doctors still use today.
6) _______ Extended democracy in Athens and ruled during the Golden Age of Greek civilization
8) _______ Father of History, exaggerated events to make Athens look good.
9) _______ Student of Socrates, believed only philosophers and highly educated should rule.
12) ______ Greek sculptor who built the Parthenon.
13) ______ First great philosopher of Greece; sentenced to death for treason.
14) ______ Study of Historian Herodotus, fought in and wrote about the Peloponnesian Wars.
15) ______ Greek scientist, developed a pump for water.
Section IV: Persian or Peloponnesian War (determine whether each statement is a characteristic of the Persian or Peloponnesian War, write the answer in the blank)
1) Greek city-states fought for control of Greece ______________________
2) Athens leads the Delian League against Sparta and the Peloponnesian League ___________________
3) Athens, Sparta, and the Greek city-states preserve their independence ______________________
4) Battles of Marathon and Salamis ______________________
5) Sparta and Athens unite to fight against a common enemy ______________________
6) The result of the war was a weakening of political power in Greece and a halt in cultural advancements ______________________
7) Persian wanted control of Greece and the Aegean and Mediterranean Seas _____________________
(2) Which of the following was NOT a geographic feature of Greece?A) Mountainous terrainB) The Aegean SeaC) The Balkan and Peloponnesian PeninsulasD) Fertile river valleys) (1) Who was the son of Macedonian King Philip II and later went on to conquer and establish his own empire in Greece?A) ArchimedesB) Alexander the GreatC) PericlesD) Draco)Section V: Greek Development and Macedonian Invasion
(4) Alexander the Great and the Macedonian Empire stretched from Greece to-A) As far east as ChinaB) As far west as Egypt and as far east as parts of IndiaC) Europe and parts of North AmericaD) None of the Above) (3) Which of the following best explains the reasons for Greek colonization?A) Search for new lucrative marketsB) Overpopulation and a lack of arable landC) The Greeks did not colonizeD) Greece was conquered by Persia and forced to develop colonies for survival)
(6) Alexander the great was the student of-A) PlatoB) HomerC) AristotleD) Hippocrates) (5) The Hellenistic Age would best be described as-A) A blending of Greek and oriental cultureB) A time period of Macedonian cultural dominanceC) A time of great peace and prosperity in GreeceD) All of the Above)