Mobile phones & learning!
Embed Size (px)
Introduction to mobile phones and learning
Mobile phones & Learning!
- EXPLORE THE POSSIBILITIES
- In reality this is a thesis topic so this session can onlybe a snapshot;
- A chance to raise awareness;
- To begin using some more of the simple mobile phone functions in our teaching and learning.
- Checkout what others are doing;
- Explore whats available on our mobile phones;
- Brainstorm some possible learning activities;
Whats planned 4.
- Let look at several innovations and applications which are available.
What others are doing! 5. New York Million Project
6. Poll everywhere!
- Poll everywhere is a polling service free(ish) for educators
- How well do you know your mobile phone? Please note it costs 30c on a Vodafone prepaid to vote.
- Another cool tool ismath4mobile . This site has 5 very sophisticated graphing programmes that you can download and run on most mobile phones.
- Make your own and make them available on Blackboard!
- Audio books e.g. Wellington City Libraries' Downloadable Media foraudio books
- In groups of 3 or 4 people have a look at your own mobile phones.
- Make a list of functions that the mobiles can be used for.
Explore whats available? 10. Combine the lists of functions 11.
- Quizzes, study notes and flash cards can be transferred to mobile phones e.g.Be coming a parent
- Mobile blogging (Utterli) Wordsworth .
- Museum audio tours, students learn aboutartifacts, create an authentic tool for the museum.
- Virtual audio walking tours e.g.scientific species in an area, guides for visitors etc
How are mobiles being used in learning 12.
- Ideas for using mobiles in learning.
- Consider both subject students and learning group
- Try to get at least one idea for each key competency
- Using language, symbols and text
- Participating and contributing.
Using mobile phones in learning 13. Share ideas 14. Ideas from Year 5 students
- Special network for children? Maybe one that doesnt cost so much?
- Taking pictures of spelling words, check in dictionary.
- Listening to stuff on the radio in class time.
- Remembering dates on calendars.
- PE Timer with the stopwatch.
- To do lists to keep projects organised.
- Have a ring tone to get our attention in class.
- Record interviews with people.
- Can text to the teacher to ask a question if you dont want to ask in front of the whole class.