Text of Meaningful Texts Comic Books, Graphic Novels and Picture Books
Meaningful TextsComic Books, Graphic Novels and Picture Books
Today We Will:• Look at the potential comic books and graphic novels have in
• Discuss learning strategies involved with using visual printed media and Language Arts
• View samples of graphic novels and comics
Comic Books • Comic books as a medium began around the turn of the last
• Gained a surge of popularity in the 30s and during WWII
• Lost popularity during the late 40s.
• Re-surged to mainstream popularity in the 60s
• Today are a multimedia juggernaut with movies, TV shows and of course printed media
The Benefits of Using Comic Books• Great for struggling readers,
as the pictures help them follow the text
• Are finished faster than novels, giving a sense of accomplishment
• Usually action-packed, very good at keeping attention
Are All Comics about Super-heroes?
• The range of subject matter in comics is just as diverse as TV or movies.
• You’ve likely seen a show based on comic book property and didn’t even realize it was based on a comic book
It’s easy!How Do I Use Comic Books in Class?
Sample Activities for Comic BooksFor Reading/Writing:
• Have a shelf of comic books available for students. (Check your local comic shop to see if they have left over Free Comic Book Day Samples)
• Use Graphic Novels as source material for reading projects
• Use single pages (cut out) as a prompt for writing/story-telling
• Students could be asked to write a description of the action in the comic book
• There are many comics that use history as a source (including some by local artists!) – Social Studies
• There are comics that focus on science and learning (easy to find through the library) - Science
• Sport comics – Physical Education
• Being a drawn medium, fits perfectly with Fine Art - Art
Some samples:At your table are some sample comic books and graphic novels. These cover a wide range of ages.
To Sum Up:
Comic books are a great way to get kids reading. There are TONS of activities you can do with comics. Comic books are culturally relevant and a great way to stimulate imaginations. Kids of all ages can benefit from reading comics.