Text of Lecturers have their say: what informs pedegogy?
1. Lecturers have their say:what informs pedagogy? Fiona ORiordan Dr Kevin Casey Dr Larry McNutt Dr Sue Bergin
2. Background ICEP 2010 Conference Committee Armchair Sessions Capture voices of lecturers Objective: Forum to collectively discuss challenges facing lecturers today
3. Methodology Appreciative Inquiry Grounded Theory
4. Appreciative Inquiry
5. Grounded TheoryPreliminary Findings of Collective Voice Views on student engagement Main challenges faced Motivating values and beliefs
6. Views on student engagementbring students into the no gadgetry, no debateand to bring technology, justtheir [the students] own really good personal experiences discussion into it [the debate] Flexible and responsive Socratic approach with small groups Encourage dialoguedebateexploration and critique of knowledge The perception of everybody Collaborative teaching and learning to be that we are here seems relationship teachers, not lecturersthat Technology to enhance sound pedagogy creates a kind of...it [technology] is a being a lecturer a barrier between you and thetool like your pencil students, whereas a teacher iswas years ago and much more kind of egalitarianyour book. and I much prefer that word teacher to lecturer
7. Main Challenges Faced I mean it is made quite Because were losing students we clear that one of the tended to dumb it down to a priorities is the retention certain extent I think in order to of students. As that get them there [graduate]. would be a marker for What we give them is notChanging landscape as of HE resources in the even engaging as it used to be or it future. can be Student retention and recruitment Resources allocation post-grad becomes just the norm, Greater diversity of learners the norm, but you and we know it isI suppose if we are QA and Admin dutieshave certain levels to do have tosuccessful in engagingstudents, hopefully Technological advancements learning and that access that sort of isnt always taken into any sort offewer should drop out, consideration when the institution isif they feel like they are promoting higher learning withoutinvolved. Irish government looking at the qualifications and actively looking for trying to have the base learning in international students place as well.
8. Values and Beliefs I mean it is made quite clear that one of the priorities is the retention You want to make it more of students. As that funand more engagingyou would be a marker for dont want to bore them to even resources in the tears. future. Fun learning environments Move away from assessment driven learning completely change a persons Meet student in their comfort zone their life.to completely change Be guided by own moral compassand to be generations lifestyleYou want to make even a small part of it [lifestylethings better and change] is very rewarding.improve things all thetime just enjoy learning to move away from I need a grade
9. In conclusion HugeDespite the To engage commitmentchallenges learners and passion