Name ________________________________________ Date __________ Period ________
Physics Fall Final Review: Word Problems
F I R S T S E M E S T E R F I N A L R E V I E W Directions: Answer the following questions based on in-class notes, worksheets, and your Physics book.
rearrange and get tvd = or v
Average velocity: t
Misc. motions equations: atvv += 0
Free Fall equations: gtvv += 0 g
Newton second law: amF = rearrange and get m
Gravitational Potential Energy: hgmU g =
Conservation of Energy: gUKEE +=
Work: dFW = Power: t
Momentum: vmp = afterbefore pp = 2211 vmvm =
Word Problems: Show all of your work. Remember 1. Read problem to yourself 2. Make a diagram and label what you know 3. Label what you are trying to calculate (e.g. Force, velocity, distance, time, etc.) 4. Pick an equation that fits 5. Plug in values and solve
1. A car travels at a constant speed of 15 m/s for 10 seconds. How far did it go?
2. How much time will it take to walk 100 meters at a constant speed of 2 m/s?
3. You drop an object off the top of a 75 meter tall building. It falls freely and hits the ground 7 seconds later. What is the average speed of the object as it fell? 4. You drop a rock off the top of a tall cliff. How fast is it traveling 3 seconds later? 5. You drop a 4.0 kg rock from a height of 20.0 meters above the ground. How long will it take to hit the ground?
6. According to the figure below, what is the acceleration of the block?
7. A net force of 10 Newtons is used to push a car about 25 yds. The cars acceleration is 1.0 m/s2. What is the mass of the car? 8. You kick a 0.5 kg stationary ball with a force of 20 Newtons. What is the force on your foot? 9. If you have a weight of -850 Newtons, and are standing on the ground. What is the force that the Earth is pushing back up on you? 10. What happens to the gravitational attraction (the force) between two objects when the distance between them increases? decreases?
11. When an object is moving in uniform circular motion, which way is it accelerating? 12. Each of the 3 objects below moves with a velocity of 1m/s. What is the total kinetic energy of the system? 13. What is the kinetic energy of an object with a mass of 5 kg traveling at a speed of 10 meters/second? Assume no other forces act upon the object. 14. You lift a heavy rock with a mass of 15 kg to a height of 5.0 meters above the ground. What is the potential energy given to the rock? 15. A 1.5 kg rock falls to the ground off the top of a 25 meter tall cliff. What is the Kinetic energy of the rock right before it hits the ground?
16. A 3.5 kg object is moving with a velocity of 2.0 m/s. What is its momentum? 17. The diagram below represents an inelastic collision between two blocks on a frictionless air track. After the collision the two objects stick together. What is the mass of the second box? 18. When the two objects of different mass collide and couple together, what will be their resultant velocity?