Saturday, April 4, 2020 • 7PM Community Choice Credit Union
Convention Center Grand Ballroom
ChildServe’s Bubble Ball
Bubble Ball Goals
1. Have fun! 2. Raise money to help
children with special healthcare needs and their families
3. Teach people about ChildServe
• We partner with families to help children with special
healthcare needs live a great life.
• Non-profit organization started in 1928
• Locations: – Ames – Des Moines – Iowa City
• Over 30 services • 4,600 children served annually
By the Numbers
• Nearly $1.5 million raised • 1000+ attendees • 100+
models/performers • 120+ designers • 60+ volunteers and
committee members • 1 memorable night
Attending the Event
• Anyone solely responsible for creating at least one design –
1 free designer ticket (non-transferrable) – Opportunity to
purchase one $50 companion
ticket • New This Year: Strict deadline for
designer and companion ticket requests, due to event demand
– Deadline: January 6
Attending the Event
New this year: • Designers and their
guest will have assigned seats among the event guests
• Plated meal, open bar
• Bubble wrap must be core element! – Pick up bubble wrap from
• Colors: Pink, Red, Black, White, Yellow, Blue, Green, Orange,
Brown, Gold, Silver and Clear– small bubble
• New this year: Bubble wrap is stored off-site • Pick up is
by appointment only:
Contact 515-727-1480 or [email protected] to set up a
• Must fit into 2020 design theme
• Specialty acts will perform as part of the show.
• To design for one of these performers, check the box on your
designer preference form.
Designer Preference Forms
• List your top 3 design ideas – be specific – We may allow
more than one of any
specific character this year. • REQUIRED: Submit a photo or
sketch • Optional: Pick a song that fits with magical
and fantasy • Submit your design preference form by
Nov. 15 to [email protected]
Models for Runway Designs
OPTION 1: • Provide your own. • When thinking of
who you want to model, keep in mind that this event is more than
just a runway show – it’s about entertaining the audience.
OPTION 2: • We will connect you
with a professional model for free.
• Design for a ChildServe child
• Contact ChildServe by Jan. 31.
Hair & Makeup
• Hair stylists and makeup artists for runway models will be
available on-site prior to the event.
• No charge for appointments • All appointments must be
contacting Stacey St Ores by January 31
Hair & Makeup
• Runway designers and their models must attend 1 of 3
pre-event rehearsals together. – Held at Franklin Jr. High – March
1, March 8, and March 22 from 2-4pm – The last rehearsal is
typically the busiest so
consider attending the first or second if possible.
– Rehearsals run first come, first serve, so arrive early if you
want to be done early.
• Please come with a plan in mind for your models. There is not
a lot of time to work out your choreography during the rehearsals,
so be prepared.
• Stage layout will be similar to last year. • Each piece will
be on stage for about
30-45 seconds. Multiple pieces within a design will get more
• Confirm the spelling of your name and models’ names for event
program and show graphics.
• Fit your model, if necessary.
• Confirm hair & make-up appointments.
STATIONARY: • On-site setup on
Saturday, April 4th • 8am – 4pm
RUNWAY: • Bring your piece with you to the rehearsal
on Saturday, April 4th
Mandatory Day-Of Rehearsal
• Runway designers only • 2pm on Saturday, April 4th • Grand
Ballroom of the Community Choice
Credit Union Convention Center • MANDATORY, NO EXCEPTIONS •
Run-through of runway show –
no costumes or hair/makeup
• Make sure to have your photo taken in full costume and makeup
by our on-site professional photographer
• Last year’s photos available on the Bubble Ball Design Guild
• Bubble Ball books are in production!
After the Event
• If you wish to keep your designs, take them home after the
Bubble Ball on Saturday.
Tools of the Trade
• Low-heat glue gun • Non-stick teflon sewing machine presser
foot • Duct tape or clear packing tape • Velcro • Modge-podge
glue • Floral pins and styrofoam • Xtreme wax sticks and wire •
Hair straightener to fuse two pieces together
• Apply acrylic paint with a small roller for a faster finish
than brushing it on.
• Most spray paint flakes. Try Plasti Dip instead.
• Modge-podge tissue paper onto the back side of the bubble
• Don’t forget, ChildServe has colored bubble wrap
• Visit childserve.org/bubbleball and click on the “Designers”
• Downloadable copies of info packet/forms • Photo gallery
from last year • Design inspiration websites and videos • Links
to our designer facebook group and
Bubble Ball Designers’ Guild
Publicity & Social Media
• Let us know if you finish your design early! • Media
opportunities may be available. • Tag @ChildServe and use the
#bubbleballdsm in your facebook, twitter, and instagram
Don’t Forget To...
• Make sure we have your email address
• Turn in your preference form (if you have it ready) OR plan
to email it by November 15
• Ask a ChildServe team member for a tour if you’re