Text of 6 Steps to Optimize Your Emails for Higher Click-Through Rates and Conversions #INBOUND2013
1. 6 Steps to Optimize Your Emails for Higher ClickThrough Rates and Conversions Sarah Goliger @sarahbethgo #INBOUND13
2. SARAHGOLIGER @sarahbethgoIve rappelled down a 200ft waterfall, I taught swing dancing in college, and I once rode a camel in the desert.
3. 6 Steps to Optimize Your Emails 1 2 3 4 5 6Identify Your Email Goals. Segment Your List. Determine What to Send. Create Optimized Emails. A/B Test Your Emails. Measure Your Results.
4. 1Identify your email goals.
5. WEAKLY DEFINED EMAIL GOALS Communicate with my audience Send content and information Run email promotions
6. WHY ARE THESE WEAKLY DEFINED? THEY DONT DIRECTLY ALIGN WITH THE GOAL OF YOUR MARKETING, FUELING YOUR SALES TEAM WITH HIGH-QUALITY LEADS.
7. STRONGLY DEFINED EMAIL GOALSit soon Although difficult at first, becomes as easy as riding a bicycle on a sunny afternoon. Generate more leads Nurture leads to be sales-ready Delight our customers
8. HOW TO DECIDE ON THE RIGHT GOALS FOR YOU #INBOUND13
9. I HAVE A LEAD VOLUME PROBLEM.
10. Do I have a lead volume problem?Leads needed per month=Customers to generate per month Lead-to-customer conversion rate
11. FOCUS ON GENERATING LEADS TO GROW YOUR DATABASE
12. QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF " " " "What sources are driving the majority of our leads right now? Are we currently using email marketing as a lead generation channel? How many leads are we driving through email marketing per month? How many leads would we like to drive through email marketing per month?This is your goal.
13. PERSPECTIVE: Consumer/ ProspectGOAL: Generate ____ leads from email marketing this month to help increase lead volume.
14. I HAVE A LEAD QUALITY PROBLEM.
15. Do I have a lead quality problem?Lead-to-customer conversion rate=Customers to generate per month Leads generated per month
16. FOCUS ON NURTURING YOUR LEADS TO GET THEM SALES-READY
17. QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF " "Does our sales team feel that the leads theyre getting are low-quality? What efforts are we currently taking to educate our leads about our product/service before we send them to sales?" "At what rate are we converting our leads into customers? At what rate would we like to be converting our leads into customers?This is your goal.
18. PERSPECTIVE: Consumer/ ProspectGOAL: Increase our lead-to-customer conversion rate to ____% by nurturing our leads through email marketing.
19. 2Segment your list.
20. WHAT IS LIST SEGMENTATION?#INBOUND13
21. UNSEGMENTED LIST Although difficult at first, it soon becomes as easy as riding a bicycle on a sunny afternoon. your Send the same content toentire list, regardless of personal or behavioral data.
22. SEGMENTED LIST Although difficult at first, it soon becomes as easy as riding a bicycle on smaller afternoon. of your Create a sunny subgroupslist based on personal or behavioral data.
23. WHY SEGMENT YOUR LIST?#INBOUND13
24. 4 out of 10 subscribers reported that theyve marked emails as spam simply because they were irrelevant. MarketingSherpa, 2011
25. YOUR BUYERS ARE NOT ALL THE SAME. STOP TREATING THEM LIKE THEY ARE.
26. THE KEY TO SUCCESSFUL EMAIL MARKETING IS:DELIVERING THE RIGHT MESSAGETO THE RIGHT PERSONAT THE RIGHT TIME
27. HOW DO I KNOW IF I SHOULD BE SEGMENTING OR NOT?
28. Unless youre just getting started & have a very small listYOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE SEGMENTING.
29. Segmented emails get50%more clicks than their unsegmented counterparts. MarketingSherpa, 2011
30. HOW TO APPROACH SEGMENTATION #INBOUND13
31. START BY DEVELOPING PERSONAS.
32. Developing Personas This is Marketing Mary. She works at a mid-sized business where she is responsible for lead generation for her sales team. Marys primary concerns are staying on top of the latest marketing techniques and proving the ROI of her efforts to her boss.
33. Developing Personas This is Owner Ollie. He runs his own business, so hes responsible for the marketing, sales, finances and taking out the trash every now and then. Ollies primary concern is successfully growing his business with the little time and resources he has.
34. YOUR CONTACTS ARE AT DIFFERENT STAGES OF THE SALES CYCLE.
35. DEFINE YOUR LIFECYCLE STAGES.
36. Lifecycle Stages
37. Building Your Lists Ask yourself: What criteria can I use to define each of my segments?What data do I have to categorize my leads?
38. Building Your ListsThen: Decide how to group that dataUse that criteria to build out targeted lists
39. Ideas for Segmenting Your List GeographyPurchase InterestsBuyer BehaviorAgeBuying FrequencyChange in Sales CycleGenderPurchase CycleEmail TypePersonaContent TopicSatisfaction IndexOrganization TypeContent FormatIn-Store vs. Web VisitorsIndustryInterest LevelShopping CartJob FunctionEducation LevelSeniority LevelContentForm AbandonmentPast PurchasesEngagement LevelUsageAbandonment
40. SO YOUVE SLICED AND DICED YOUR LIST. NOW WHAT?
41. 3Determine what to send.
42. ALIGN YOUR CONTENT WITH YOUR GOALS.
43. Content for Lead Generation
44. Content for Lead Nurturing
45. MAP YOUR CONTENT.
46. What is Content Mapping? Content mapping is when you target your email content to each segment based on their goals, needs, & interests.
47. MARKETING IS ABOUT CONTENT + CONTEXT.
48. Segmentation gives you theCONTEXT you need to send the right content to the right people.
49. WHAT TYPES OF CONTENT SHOULD I SEND? #INBOUND13
50. Be Creative! You can send: EbooksProduct updatesWebinar invitesVideosBlog postsSurveys
51. Determine what content does best with your audience. What content topics do they prefer? What content formats do they prefer? What content length do they prefer?
52. 4Create optimized emails.
53. COMPONENTS OF AN OPTIMIZED EMAIL #INBOUND13
54. Components of an Optimized Email " " " " " " " " "Subject line Sender name Personalization Body copy Image Call-to-action Social sharing buttons Unsubscribe link Mobile Optimization
55. 1SUBJECT LINEWHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?You need to grab the readers attention.
56. 1SUBJECT LINE Address your readers concerns Personalize Use actionable language Be explicit Strive for clarity over persuasion Be briefReady to save time on your marketing? How HubSpots marketing can be more efficient Join us on our free SEO Experts webinar [Free Ebook] How to Grow Your Business Blog How to Nurture Your Leads More Effectively Is your website leaking traffic?
57. 2SENDER NAMEWHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?You need to build trust.
58. 2SENDER NAME Send emails from an actual person Sign the email from that person Add the senders picture to the bottom of the email Experiment with different sender names (ebook author vs. CEO)
59. 3PERSONALIZATIONWHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?You need to make your emails relevant.
60. 3PERSONALIZATION Address emails to the persons name Include relevant demographic or behavioral information Company name Location Role at company Pages viewed Items previously purchased Be creative!
61. BODY COPY4 WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?You need to make your emails concise &compelling.
62. BODY COPY4 Clearly convey what the offer is & why its valuable Use brief, compelling language Use short paragraphs & bullet points to break up text visually Make it interesting Tell a story Use statistics Use strong language
63. IMAGE5 WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?You need to make your emails visuallycompelling.
64. 5IMAGE Make your images relevant Choose visually compelling images to capture attention Match the image with your offer
65. CALL-TO-ACTION6 WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?You want your readers toclick through & convert.
66. 6CALL-TO-ACTION Include a primary, focused callto-action Make your CTA prominent & visually distinctive Write CTA copy that is: Clear (download, register) Urgent (now, today) Friendly (join us, get your) Include multiple links & buttons
67. z 7SOCIAL SHARING WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? You want to encourage your readers to share.
68. 7SOCIAL SHARING Make it easy for readers to share your offers with their networks Expands your reach Generates new leads Pre-populate your social sharing links with optimized copy
69. UNSUBSCRIBE LINK8WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? You want your readers to want to hearfrom you and its illegal not to.
70. 8UNSUBSCRIBE LINK Comply with CAN-SPAM laws Dont trick people into staying on your list Makes your open rates & CTRs more accurate If they cant unsubscribe, theyll mark as SPAM
71. 9MOBILE-OPTIMIZED WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?You want your emails to display nicely across alldevices.
72. 9MOBILE-OPTIMIZED Design your emails to adapt to whatever device your readers are on Optimize for the best mobile user experience possible Dont miss a chance to convert a lead
73. 5A/B test your emails.
74. WHY A/B TESTING IS IMPORTANT#INBOUND13
75. EMAIL MARKETING SHOULD NOT BE A GUESSING GAME.
76. Theres ascience to it.
77. A/B testing is an email marketers most powerful weapon.
78. HOW TO APPROACH A/B TESTING #INBOUND13
79. Some Guiding Principles" " "Make sure youre only testing one variable at a time. Only run two variations at once. Every A/B test should have a clear goal.