30 ways to get 30s. SCFI 2011 How to get better speaks or die trying. Why do we care?. Higher Seeding Easier out rounds Increases your chances of winning People will like you more Shiny trophies Overall better debating. It’s all about perception . Look like you care Show up on time - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
30 ways to get 30sSCFI 2011
How to get better speaks or die trying
Why do we care?
• Higher Seeding• Easier out rounds • Increases your chances of winning• People will like you more• Shiny trophies• Overall better debating
It’s all about perception
• Look like you care• Show up on time• Come prepared• Be “not mean” • Have a positive winning attitude
Go Fish for Speaker Points
There was a fisherman named Fisherwho fished for some fish in a fissure.
Till a fish with a grin,pulled the fisherman in.
Now they're fishing the fissure for Fisher.
Before the Tournament
• Speaking drills• Read your evidence• Write your overviews
When Speaking• Stand Up • Face the Judge, look up at the judge• Be Clean, Clear, Collected• Signpost• Make sure your judge can see you and vice versa• Let your funny side out, if you are mean keep that
• Minimize tag team• Be strong but not overbearing
Judge- Pet Peeves
• Don’t Steal Prep• No talking during speeches• Avoid unnecessary movement while others
are speaking• Making bad arguments to take time
• Ex: Ts that the aff clearly meets
A Race to Elimination Rounds
One-one was a race horse.Two-two was one too.
One-one won one race.Two-two won one too.
• 2AC/Neg Block- Give the judge a preview to the impact calc in the last rebuttals
• Don’t get totally caught up in the line by line
Make us want to listen
Near an ear, a nearer ear,
a nearly eerie ear.
Adapt to your Environment
• When you ask your judges questions before the round they expect you to listen