Some thoughts on using sketching for visualization design. Presented at the BCS-HCI 2009 conference.
1. Sketching Sketching
Outlines of a Collaborative Design Method
Dr Brock Craft and Dr Paul Cairns
8. Sidney Harris
9. Schtze et al., 2003 Springer
10. Sketching as Design Thinking
11. Four ambiguous sketches (Tversky et al.)
13. Action Research Method (Checkland, Baskerville) Grounded Theory Analysis (Strauss & Corbin) Beacon Project (UCL CoMPLEX)
15. J (mathematician): I was thinking of it mainly algorithmically. And I was thinking of it in terms of the maths that you would need to do to wrap the calcium interface into the [Waveform Relaxation] interface. And then when you made me write it down, I was forced to draw it like this. And this idea would never have come to me, if you hadnt made me do that.
21. Buxton (2006), adapted from Laseau (1980)
Enhances design problem solving by:
supporting design process (e.g., low cost),
Sketching also enhances creativity by:
supporting short- and long-term memory,
supporting lateral thinking,
enabling cycles of generation and (re)interpretation.
23. Communication & Collaboration, Creativity
25. Dr Brock Craft London Knowledge Lab 23-29 Emerald Street, London WC1N 3QS, UK +44 (0)20 7763 2137 [email_address] Dr Paul Cairns University of York Heslington, York, YO10 5DD, UK +44 (0) 1904 434751 [email_address] Thank you!