1. Sketching for Better UX Focusing on UI Sketching
2. We will learn 1. Overview of the phases of UX 2. Why sketching is an important step in UX 3. Basics of how to sketch 4. Utilize our skills to ideate and sketch a UI 6-up brainstorm 1-up idea coalescence 5. Wrap-up with tips/resources/questions
3. Sketch this
4. Phases of UX
5. Sketching is for Ideation. Exploring ideas. Breaking out of the box. Group collaboration. Speed. Externalization of ideas.
6. It is for problem solving.
7. Sketching is NOT drawing
8. Sketching is meant to be rough. It is not a finished piece of work.
9. What is this?
10. How to sketch
11. Just like the UX process 1. Break the larger challenge into simple pieces 2. Start sketching with larger elements / outlines 3. Details come second
12. Remember this
13. Now Sketch this
14. Now Sketch this
15. Break it down
16. Tools for Sketching
17. NO PENCILS!
18. Tips 1. Use different line widths/weights 2. Highlighters and sharpies work 3. Never erase. 4. Walk
19. Time to get to it.
20. But first, a walk
21. 6-up exercise with teams
22. 1-up exercise with teams
23. What else you can do with good sketching 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc
24. Archive of Resources 1. To practice sketching technique: http://www.slideshare.net/ LaneHalley/how-to-draw-quick-useful-ui-sketches 2. http://www.sparringmind.com/creative-thinking/ 3. http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/12/13/the-messy-art-of- ux-sketching/ 4. http://www.uie.com/brainsparks/2009/11/11/ui14-session-sampler- leah-buleys-a-ux-team-of-one/ 5. http://www.slideshare.net/pboersma/good-design-faster-at-ux-soa