1st version of this talk Matt Milan and I gave at IA Summit 09, 22 March 2009
Text of Innovation Parkour at IA Summit 09
1. 09IA + SUMMIT
2. This is going to hurt.
3. IA Freedoms just another word for nothin left to lose
4. IA Where do you do your best thinking?
5. IA How come I am most creative when I am listening to angry music?
6. IA hat do showers & Black Flag have in common?
7. IA They help us let go
8. IA What can you learn from letting go?
9. IA You can learn how to know whats next
12. Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains
13. Routinized work produces efcient and predictable outcomes
14. What happens when things become unpredictable?
16. How likely is it that people will not panic in such circumstances?
17. 1983AC143 The Gimli Glider
19. How did this happen?
20. Why didnt Sully panic?
21. The training provides pilots with important technical skills -- they can practice ying crippled planes -- but it also teaches them something more important: how to draw on an optimal blend of reason and emotion. They learn how to ignore their fear when fear isn't useful and how to make quick, complicated decisions in the most fraught situations.
22. Flight crews don't panic because they've practiced staying calm.
28. The Master leads by emptying people's minds and lling their cores, by weakening their ambition and toughening their resolve. He helps people lose everything they know, everything they desire, and creates confusion in those who think that they know. Lao Tzu
29. How can you practice being free?
30. GAINST ETHOD
31. I want a girl with uninterrupted prosperity Who uses a machete to cut through red tape With ngernails that shine like justice And a voice that is dark like tinted glass She is fast, thorough, and sharp as a tack Shes touring the facility and picking up slack
32. ennis drills are repetitive and relentless. They teach the body to think, so the mind can do strategy.
33. Tai Chi combines discreet movements and a owing sequence that shape a tranquil mind.
34. There is nothing secret about yoga. The poses are well established across many styles. But it is a bottomless practice
36. Parkour is the attainment of human freedom through the confrontation of the built environment
37. ow+ repertoire =freedom
39. Ceci nest pas un innovation
40. Ceci nest pas un innovation
41. Ceci nest pas un innovation
42. Innovation is the design of future value
43. Larry says we can develop a science of innovation
44. Saul says we need a platform for experimentation
45. Guy says, innovation is about getting better reality
46. IA How do we design a better future?
48. IA The Unnished Discipline
49. IA How many years have we been trying to nish IA?
50. What is our future value?
51. IA Structure
52. IA Unstructure
53. IA nstructured
54. IA Unnished
55. IA Emergence
56. UB Thebestdesign thinkingis designdoing
57. UB UNFINISHED IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS
58. UB THE UNFINISHED KERNEL
59. UB AN ARCHITECTURE OF COMPETENCE
61. UB TRANSPARENT & RIDICULOUSLY EASY TO SHARE
62. Teaching without UB words, performing without actions: that is the Masters way
63. UB PRACTICE SEEING
65. UB Networked Social Production
66. UB If you do not trust the people, you make them untrustworthy