Text of Future of Public Space I : We dont think the same way about public space
1. WE DON'T THINK THE SAME WAY ABOUT PUBLIC SPACE OLAMIDE UDOMA-EJORH
2. WHO AM I? Urban Practitioner/Activist Project Manager Urban Planner Event Planner Researcher Consultant Film Maker
3. PUBLIC SPACE
4. - American Planning Association A public space may be a gathering spot or part of a neighborhood, downtown, special district, waterfront or other area within the public realm that helps promote social interaction and a sense of community. Possible examples may include such spaces as plazas, town squares, parks, marketplaces, public commons and malls, public greens, piers, special areas within convention centers or grounds, sites within public buildings, lobbies, concourses, or public spaces within private buildings.
5. Urban Dictionary A place, in wide definition, for everybody to enjoy their coexistence and represent their collectivity and common interest without drowning or disaggregating their diversity.
6. PLAYABLE CITY Playable City asks us to imagine how might we make cities more livable, open and human.
7. IS THERE ANY SPACE AROUND HERE THAT YOU WOULD CONSIDER PUBLIC (WHERE YOU CAN RELAX OR SOCIALISE)? 80% said NO No, you pay for everything in Lagos National stadium Surulere (30 minute walk from Tejuosho) Malls and eateries (Burger King) Hotels and bars 'Yes, but not ideal for women
8. DANFONE Part of a multi-layered transport system (4 or 5 layers?) Part of traffic, which is deeply embedded in the city culture Lots and lots of people in a similar situation at any given single time Interaction between strangers
9. JIGI LAGOS Tamper with the flow of the city energy Get people out of their everyday mundane activities, a release, with sight and sound Adaptable dependent on time of day - the morning rushing and the evening laid-back A controlled but not controlling narrative Promote interaction between people
10. PUBLIC SPACE Re-uses the city infrastructure to create connections person to person, person to city Accessible; people have easy access and can engaged in activities Comfortable; people feel safe Sociable place: one where people meet each other and take people when they come to visit. Economic, social, and ethnic diversity