5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success
5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success1The internet provides instant access to information and communications around the world.
In fact 46.1% of theworlds populationhave an internet connection today and with89% of internet userspurchasing products or services online it is crucial for your business to have a digital presence.
When used correctly, the internet can sky rocket your business and increase its visibility to more consumers than ever before.
5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success 2
Before you get started it is imperative that you understand your website metrics, what they mean and how to utilise them to your advantage.
Analytics provide key data and statistics to senior management and are used to monitor, measure and evaluate performance against business objectives.
If you arent using website metrics to measure the number of people visiting your website and the pages they are landing on, then you need to start now.5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success3
Using Google AnalyticsGoogle Analyticsis a free analytics tool which provides insight into your audiences demographics, behaviour and more. It measures;
Website trafficNumber of sessionsBounce ratesPage viewsGeographical dataCampaigns
Are you monitoring and evaluating these 5 metrics?5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success4
1. DemographicsWith a website analytics tool, you can measure demographics such as the age and gender of the visitors to your site. This is extremely useful when positioning your website.
Align what you find from your website analytics to your target audience and ask if your main users are actually those you are trying to target?
If they are then well done! Your website is well targeted to your preferred audience.5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success5
1. DemographicsIf they arent then its not always a bad thing.
You might have discovered a brand new target audience you didnt know about, if many users of a different age group are converting it may be time to look at why and think about reviewing your target audience.5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success6
2. New Vs Returning UsersThe New Vs Returning metric allows you to see which visitors are new in comparison to those who have visited your site before, as well as other statistics on their behaviour and conversions.
For example, you can easily see if visitors new to your site stay for a longer duration than a returning visitor or vice versa.
You can also measure goal conversions like if more returning visitors download content or click on a certain landing page than new ones.5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success7
2. New Vs Returning UsersYou can then use this to target your content.
If you have a very low number of new users converting the first time you may want to think about the navigation of your site, can they find what they need easily?
Of course this may just be the nature of the business sector you are in and its important to take this into consideration when measuring certain metrics.5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success8
3. Browser & Operating Software5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success9The browser and operating system metric allows you to see which browsers visitors are using to access your site.
Long gone are the days where you could get away with your website only looking good on Internet Explorer, in fact there are now many different browsers for internet users to choose from.
In 2016,Chrome is the most used browserwith Firefox, Internet Explore and Safari all still popular choices.
3. Browser & Operating SoftwareYou may be surprised by some of the browsers or operating systems that appear on the list.
If you see a high number of browsers it may be a good idea to make sure your site is optimised for the top 5 most used by your visitors.
If you havent made sure your website is fully optimised on these many visitors may be seeing hard to navigate and un-styled pages.5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success10
4. Users Flow5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success11
The Google Analytics user flow lets you easily see how visitors navigate through your website and importantly where they land and drop off.
Users might not always navigate through your website in the way you expect.
Despite this you must make sure whatever journey they take, visitors can easily navigate and understand your website.
4. Users FlowWith the users flow you can pick out the main flows users take and optimise these pages to help users convert.
The user flow also lets you see drop offs, the point in which visitors leave your website.
For example if a high number of users drop off immediately after reaching a landing page its possible the page wasnt what they were expecting or wasnt fully optimised for them.5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success12
5. Campaign Acquisition5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success13Campaign parameters or tags allow you to identify the campaigns that send traffic to your site. This is great for social shares, links in email newsletters and advertising campaigns.
If youre unsure how to create campaign URLs, Google Analytics has a greatURL builderthat generates one for you.
5. Campaign AcquisitionOnce youve added campaign parameters to your URLs you can use these in multiple ways.
For example, discovering which of your marketing efforts in the most effective in generating traffic to your website, improving future campaigns and better focusing your marketing spend to gain a better return on investment.5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success14
These are just 5 of the numerous metrics available for you to measure to discover the visitors to your site and their behaviours.
Remember, its important to first set goals and base the metrics you measure on these.
Dont spend time analysing a metric such as gender or age if these dont impact on your goals and objectives. 5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success15
If you dont have a Google Analytics account or would like help discovering your website traffic & visitors we can help.
Our team of professionals have an extensive knowledge of Google Analytics and can help you discover the metrics you need easily and quickly.
Find out more about ouranalytics services hereorcontact usto discuss your requirements.5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success16
Click here to visit our blog for more interesting articles and trends in big data and marketing.
Or why not follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook?
5 Google Analytics Metrics You Must Measure for Website Success17