1. The Best Ways to Get Interviews Robert Hellmann, Presenter Five OClock Club Career Coach Presented at Baruch College www.hellmannconsulting.com October 22, 2009
2. Introduction Im Robert Hellmann, a certified Five OClock Club Career Coach and an Adjunct Professor of Career Development at NYU The material Im sharing with you is based on the Five OClock Club methodology for the job search. Material based on Five OClock Club Methodology Copyright 2009, Robert Hellmann LLC / www.hellmannconsulting.com 2 [email protected] / 917-825-9595
3. GETTING INTERVIEWS Your Promotional Materials Resume Pitch Cover letters Sometimes a website Contact Channels Ads (passive) 6% Headhunters (passive) 6% Direct Contact (active) 46% Networking (active) 42% Focus of this discussion Contact Techniques Writing letters / e-mails Following up using the phone Material based on Five OClock Club Methodology Copyright 2009, Robert Hellmann LLC / www.hellmannconsulting.com 3 [email protected] / 917-825-9595
4. A Step Back: Position Yourself Correctly for a Specific Target Have a focused message that positions you for your specific job target, NOT your last job. Use this message consistently through all your communications channels: Resumes Cover Letters Meetings / Interviews (Your Pitch) Your job target is a combination of the following: Job title or description Industry or Company Size Geography Changing any one of these may require a change in your positioning. Material based on Five OClock Club Methodology Copyright 2009, Robert Hellmann LLC / www.hellmannconsulting.com 4 [email protected] / 917-825-9595
5. Answering Ads Sources of ads Internet Job Boards Company Websites Newspapers and Magazines Some online Chamber of Commerce websites Trade publications Association Journals or websites Challenges with answering ads: Your background has to be almost identical to the requirements for your resume not to be discarded The average NY Times or Wall Street Journal ad receives 1,500 responses. Ads are a passive method for searching. Material based on Five OClock Club Methodology Copyright 2009, Robert Hellmann LLC / www.hellmannconsulting.com 5 [email protected] / 917-825-9595
6. Answering Ads- Techniques to Improve Response Dont list your salary. Say: Id be glad to discuss salary requirements upon mutual interest. I look forward meeting with you to further discuss the position. If ad says you must give salary, give a broad range. Always write a cover letter. Highly effective if you match the requirements closely: Use the Your Requirements vs. My Qualifications format in your cover letter. Dont use this format if your background is not a close match with their requirements. Use ads as a means of identifying opportunities, then use Networking or Direct Contact. Be careful of Blind Ads. Material based on Five OClock Club Methodology Copyright 2009, Robert Hellmann LLC / www.hellmannconsulting.com 6 [email protected] / 917-825-9595
7. Ad Response Example ROB R i m n d H i o d 1 0 Rh 1 Ec T o LLl R a HE M ANN Nw e a a n , T 0 8 0 C n a C 6 4 0 - 6 - 9 5 / 2 3 9 6 1 1 o @m b x r . m r b o p o o c Oc t b r , o e 4 2 0 0 3 O f i o f S r t i Ma r t i a n C o m m u i t i n c e t a g c e k e n g d n c a o s Nwe Yr Un i r i y o k v e t s D a r Ma m e d a o S i r r , I m r s p n d n t y o r d i t h N e w Y o T i m s f r D i c t Ma k t g Ma a g r a e o i g o u a n e r k e o a r e r e i n n e ( e y o r 1 8 8 R ) B s d o n y u r s r i t n I b i v e I mw e q u l i d f r t i k w d 7 B . a e o d e c p i o , l e e a l a f e o h s mr t n n o B e 1 3 a r o f c p d n e i o r f y u r , i t h c i e o s e d t o k p o i o . I f l w I h v e x e r t p o r d i o ma a d w i my r s p n s . I l o e s k t g . a e i o r y a s e x e r e c n n s c o e i t e t k t n g p e a l i g i e , s i n z n a b s a f r a r t h a r n f r my u o o n o w d o e i g o o s .