1. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-1 Your Company Results Oriented Collaborative Leadership Workshop Unit 1: Orientation to Effective Leadership Unit Contents Introductions to Course Content and Participants Presentation Workshop Objectives 3 Activity Personal Introductions 4 The Nature of Leadership: Leadership Expectations Activity The Bead Game 5 Presentation A Model of Leadership 6 Activity Investors Leadership Expectations 7 Presentation How Exceptional Leaders Think 8 Activity Traditional and New Thinking: Your Stance 12 How We Will Learn Presentation/ Discussion The Anatomy of Learning 13 Activity Maximizing Your Learning 14 Presented by Chris Holland The Holland Group Accelerating Senior Level Collaboration for Results Copyright 2011 The Holland Group Cohasset, MA 02460 617-877-7053
2. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-2 Presentation Workshop Objectives The objectives of this workshop are to Understand what Investors expects from you as a leader. Participate in building leadership for the future of Investors. Grow individually as a leader by learning concepts and tools for success. Exchange ideas with other leaders to create a common understanding of what it means to be a leader at Investors. Work with the Steering Committee to ensure that leadership development contributes to business success.
3. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-3 Activity Personal Introductions Find out who else is in your class. Your instructor will lead you through this activity. Your Notes
4. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-4 Activity The Bead Game Your instructor will conduct The Bead Game with the class. Once the game is finished and you discuss what you have learned from it, you can use the space below for your notes. Your Notes on the Bead Game
5. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-5 Presentation A Model of Leadership The model on this page represents the material we will cover in this workshop. Your instructor will explain the model.
6. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-6 Activity Investors Leadership Expectations Instructions Here is a list of the units in this workshop. Your instructor will summarize the flow of the units. Looking at Units 2-9, put a plus sign (+) next to those that represent your current strengths. Put a minus sign (-) next to those where you feel you could use significant improvement. Units in This Course Day 1 1. Orientation to Effective Leadership 2. Critical Thinking 3. Thinking and Acting Strategically Day 2 4. Being Fiscally Responsible 5. Interpersonal Effectiveness 6. Developing and Supporting Exceptional People 7. Sharing Authority? Day 3 8. Building Client Loyalty 9. Building Effective Work Processes 10. Organizational Learning
7. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-7 Presentation How Exceptional Leaders Think Notes: Notes: Notes:
8. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-8 Notes: Notes: Notes:
9. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-9 Notes: Notes: Notes:
10. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-10 Notes:
11. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-11 Activity Traditional and New Thinking: Your Stance Instructions 1. Working individually, check off the applicable boxes below. Its OK to check both traditional and new thought patterns. 2. In small groups, discuss what you checked and your understanding of what works at Investors, then debrief in the large group. In general, People at Investors For myself, I Should think Do think Traditional Thought Patterns Should think do think _____ _____ Im in charge because of my expertise _____ _____ _____ _____ I know where we need to go _____ _____ _____ _____ I need you to follow my direction _____ _____ _____ _____ I want peoples ideas but... _____ _____ _____ _____ Either/or choices must be made _____ _____ _____ _____ I will make the tough decisions _____ _____ _____ _____ Ill influence those who must get on board _____ _____ _____ _____ How you feel is not my concern _____ _____ _____ _____ Get on board or get out _____ _____ New Thought Patterns _____ _____ I want all of us to be proud of what we produce _____ _____ _____ _____ I welcome others taking the lead _____ _____ _____ _____ Its better if I dont exercise my authority _____ _____ _____ _____ Were all responsible for process and outcomes _____ _____ _____ _____ Im truly interested in others ideas _____ _____ _____ _____ I want to understand your feelings and concerns _____ _____ _____ _____ Its important for me to be genuine _____ _____ _____ _____ Best results come from grappling with complexity _____ _____
12. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-12 Presentation and Discussion The Anatomy of Learning Your instructor will explain this model and discuss with you how we will use it in this course. Model for Developing an Effective Leadership Team Improvement Approach A. Desired Characteristics B. Case studies C. Prospective work Evaluation Agreements Application of learning
13. Copyright 2011: The Holland Group Page 1-13 Activity Maximizing Your Learning Instructions What is going to make this leadership workshop a success? Based on your own experience in previous trainings, help us (your instructors) create a list of dos and the donts that will make this program work best for you. Things to Do Things to Avoid