If you can't read please download the document
Embed Size (px)
How to hire and when to fire an employee
Text of Hiring employees
- 1. Building a Business Hiring Employees
2. Hire or Use Temporary Help
- Should you hire a new employee or contract with a firm to provide the skill?
- ~ How specialized the skill required is
- ~ Duration of the skill required
- ~ Whether you want to retain theexperience gained by working on the project or whether it is ok to let go
3. Hiring The Key
- Most companies hire SKILLS first and HOPE they get character
- Be SLOW to hire and FAST to fire, rather than the other way around
4. Character Attributes
- What are the Character Qualities you are looking for?
5. Consideration #1
- There is a limit to what you can contribute to the business
- You will need to hire so that you can focus your talents in the area of the business that
- Will cause the most growth
6. Consideration #2
- Each manager should hire their own direct reports
- When hiring, involve peers, if possible.Have a 2 ndopinion.
- Encourage the hiring of the best
7. Consideration #3
- Prioritize your hiring needs
- Focus on what will help you to expand your business
- Do you hire a person with the exact skills that you need but has no ability to grow?
- Do you hire a person to train but has the skills to grow with the company?
8. Consideration #4
- ~ Establish job positions with descriptions
- ~ Hire people into positions, Do not create positions for people
- Put together a prioritized skill list and create a job posting (advertisement for the job)
9. Consideration #5
- How do you let the people with the skills that you are trying to hire know that your business is hiring?
- Where do you put your job posting?
- Place the job posting in a place where the person with the skills youre looking for will see it
10. Finding the Right Person
- How are you going to determine if the person has these skills?
- Think of and list the questions youll need to ask to discover if the person has the skills youre looking for
- See how they performed in previous jobs
11. So Youve Decided to Hire Now What?
- How are you going to determine if you are hiring the right person for the job?
- Answer:Think about the skills that the position requires and develop a list
12. Time Your Hiring Wisely
- Consider the time it takes to train a new employee.
- Even someone with experience needs time to understand and be productive in your business
- Consider the time it takes you or another employee to train the new employee
13. Should you Hire Someone with Experience?
- The type of position youre looking for
- On how soon you want them to be productive
- If you can pay the salary
- But if you are tempted to hire someone without experience just because of the salary issue, think again.
14. Team Considerations
- Look for someone that will fit in with your team
- Look for someone with complementary skills (and probably not the exact same skills that you have)
- Goal:Develop a well-rounded team that contributes to the growth and success of your business using their unique skills and talents.
- Hiring the wrong person is worse than not hiring at all